High school English teacher Ms. Edna Nichols will retire at the end of the year

Tonasia Oliphant, Reporter

Pattonville is home of the Pirates and a place where students and faculty members grow.

Ms. Edna Nichols has been teaching English at Pattonville for 17 years and will be retiring this year to gain a fresh start to her life.

“I’ve taught mainly English classes such as Modern Literature, African American Literature and College Credit English,” Nichols said.

She earned her associate’s from St. Louis Community College-Florissant Valley, bachelor’s in psychology from Maryville University and master’s in secondary curriculum and instruction from the University of Missouri-St. Louis.

Although Nichols has been a Pirate for a while, she began her career working in a group home teaching adults with disabilities. After that, she taught at Fort Zumwalt North High School for 6 years.

She said it is now time for her to enjoy life beyond the classroom.

“I’m retiring because I want to write a book and I feel like I can’t teach and do justice to myself.”

Teaching means everything to Nichols just as much as the care and guidance she provides to her students.

“I love teaching because I know that I have made a difference in a student’s life.”

Nichols said she will dearly miss Pattonville and its supportive community.

“I will definitely miss my colleagues and the students I’ve connected with, and most of all, I will miss the events that we have such as Writers Week, even though this was Pattonville’s first year having one.”

Pattonville has always been Nichols’ second home, and in retirement, she plans to move to Colorado and travel more in order to explore the world outside of teaching.

“I’m going to be enjoying life and looking forward to my trip to Europe.”

1 Comment

One Response to “High school English teacher Ms. Edna Nichols will retire at the end of the year”

1. Chris Shockley on May 12th, 2018 10:26 am

Best wishes on your retirement, Edna. I always enjoyed talking to you at lunch. Have fun and take that trip. Retirement is highly under-rated!

[Reply]

• High school English teacher Ms. Edna Nichols will retire at the end of the year

SLIDESHOW Class of 2018 graduates from Pattonville High School

Pearia preps for senior year

Six staff members at the high school are preparing for the last school day of their career

MULTIMEDIA Students surprise Ms. Nichols for retirement

Students in Capstone class help set up prom ticket sales

Color guard prepares for the new season

Two foreign exchange students wrap-up school year in the states

MULTIMEDIA Pattonville Prom 2018: Arabian Nights recap

Senior Profile: Katie Basta

Senior is looking forward to the start of summer