How to Ace the ACT

All high school students know that in order to be accepted into a college or university, he or she must take the dreaded ACT.

Although the ACT can bring about a lot of anxiety, there are many steps that students can take in order to do well on the test.

According to the State University website, there are 8 easy steps every student could take in order to succeed on the test:

• Pace yourself – The test is designed for most people to finish, but make sure to watch the clock. The test proctor will tell you when there are 5 minutes left.
  • Read the directions carefully – The English, reading, and science tests ask for the best possible answer, but the math test will ask for the correct answer.
  • Read each question carefully – Make sure to actually know what each question asks.
  • Answer the easy questions first – Answer the questions that you find easiest and then go back and answer the harder ones.
  • Use logic to answer more difficult questions – First, eliminate the most obvious answers, then try to narrow the answers down by comparing incorrect answers.
  • Answer every question – On the ACT, you are not penalized for guessing, so at least guess on every question.
  • Check your work – If you have time, go back and check your work for any mistakes.
  • Be accurate on answer sheet – Make sure to fill in the bubbles completely on the answer sheet. Also, make sure to fill in the appropriate bubble for the question that you are answering. If you erase, be sure to erase completely.

Pattonville offers free ACT classes that help prepare students and teach them the proper strategies in order to rock the ACT. These classes can either be added into your schedule as a course or you can attend them on Monday and Wednesday nights from 6 to 8 p.m. about a few weeks before the ACT test for that month. Be sure to pay attention to the morning announcements in order to hear when these classes are or look for the signs posted around the school.

Ms. Melissa Sparkman, a math teacher at PHS, taught the math section of the ACT prep class during school and the sessions after school. She said “the after school class is free for three consecutive weeks.” Sparkman added that the class works on learning strategies that assist the students how to “weed out questions that are incorrect,” even without knowing how to do the material, as well as going over information that will be on the test.

Blake Douglas, a senior at PHS took the ACT three times. He said his score improved an overall 3 points because of the ACT classes here at PHS. He also followed the steps that were suggested above when taking his test and believed that they had a positive affect on his improved score.

In order to sign up for the ACT, go to www.actstudent.org/start

Websites to visit for practice:

ACT Video Tutorials

Student Edge Click New User and then use Pattonville’s Access Code: WTCUZWYL