College is coming, are you ready?

After talking to Ms. Kampschroeder, the college counselor here at Pattonville, I have the tips to prepare you for your future college career.

Don’t wait until your junior or senior year to look at colleges.

Finals
For the freshman and sophomores, she tells me that if you haven’t started to study for the final exams start now. Too many kids take their finals without studying, and bomb them. Everyone should try to get their grades up as high as possible; this will help them when apply for scholarships.

The juniors should be even further along than the lower classmen. She says “this semester is the last that will go on your transcript for a four year university, so it is your most important.”

Summer plans

Students looking to go to four-year universities should be thinking about joining summer academic programs and camps, and should continue their tutoring for A+. Students who are looking to play sports in college should go to athletic camps and showcases. If you are visiting a college make sure it before August.

“If you are visiting a college over summer no students will be there, but it is better than not going there at all.” Ms. K said.

Testing

If you are a junior and haven’t taken the ACT, you are behind. She recommends taking the June ACT, and you must sign up before May 14. You can sign up at www.actstudent.org.

Resumes and portfolios

Juniors this summer should begin to create their college résumés as well.

Financial Aid

For you seniors out there that have cut back on the stress of waiting, and have prepared already you should be watching for the financial aid packet. The packet is sent via email mostly, and students should check both their personal and college emails, if available. You should be comparing financial aid rewards, and trying to pick the most fiscally responsible choice.

Housing and registration

Seniors going away for college should have housing taken care of soon. May 1 will be the deadline for you to tell whether or not you are attending that college. For all students attending a St. Louis Community College, you must attend a seminar before signing up for classes. You can do this at www.stlcc.edu/nsrw. This is a new requirement, and you can’t sign up for classes without doing such. This doesn’t include St. Charles Community College.