Spirited Broyles teaches one of Pattonville’s most rigorous courses

Mr. Broyles, who is fairly new to the world of teaching, has recently been given the opportunity to teach one of the most challenging and rigorous courses offered at Pattonville High Schoool – Advanced Placement Calculus. Walking down the H-wing during 2nd and 7th hour, students can hear and see how enthusiastic Broyles is about the new course, but few students experience the class for themselves. One thing is for sure, Broyles keeps things fun by enthusiastically teaching the material.

When did you start teaching at Pattonville?

I started teaching three years ago.

Why did you choose Pattonville High School?

Pattonville seemed like a good school in a good area. It has a good reputation and I had heard only good things about the district.

Which class is your favorite class to teach and why?

I enjoy teaching calculus the most because I love the material and the students. I love how motivated the students are to do well. Calculus is awesome!!

How is your first year teaching a college credit course going?

It’s challenging, but fun. Preparing for class doesn’t seem like a lot of work – I want to put in the time.

How do you feel, being able to teach a college credit course so early into your teaching career?

I am appreciative and excited that the school trusts my ability to teach. It made my year last year when I found out I would be teaching calculus, and all summer I couldn’t wait.

What are the different struggles and rewards that you face teaching calculus?

The course is full of more difficult concepts to get across to students, and it’s more difficult to find multiple ways to get materials to be understood. I love to see how much students enjoy class, the material, and certain questions. I get so excited to see a light bulb go off in their head when they finally understand.

“Why was the calculus teacher bad at baseball? ….He was better at fitting curves than hitting them.”