Pirates celebrate Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is the fourth Thursday of November, and this year it’s on Nov. 22. It symbolizes the gratitude the Pilgrims had toward the Native Americans that helped them start a life in America. Ever since then, every fourth Thursday in November is celebrated as a day of ‘giving thanks,’ hence the name of the holiday. It’s also the time where families gather around the dinner table with each other and eat great food. There’s turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, apple pie, sweet potato pie, ham, casseroles and so much more.

One of the most important parts of Thanksgiving is what people are thankful for. Leslie Anderson, English teacher, loves Thanksgiving because “I love being with and spending time with my family and I love the way Thanksgiving smells.”

Anderson’s favorite food to eat at Thanksgiving is the “turkey that my sister, Mrs. [Vann] Hahn makes.”

Anderson added she is thankful for “work, my country, family. Everything.”

Katie Scoopmire, sophomore, is most grateful for her  field hockey team. “I made a bond with the girls and my coaches.” Another favorite thing about Thanksgiving is the food. Scoopmire’s favorite part about Thanksgiving is “the variety of food and my whole family being there, especially because I haven’t seen my sister in forever. And I love food!”

Jordan Colquitt, freshman, is thankful for everything she has. “I know I could be in a worse place.”

She, like many others, has certain favorites about the holiday. “My favorite food is Mac & Cheese that my mom makes.”

Colquitt loves Thanksgiving because she gets to spend time with her family.

Family is a big part of Thanksgiving, and is what Jordan Wilkes is grateful for. “I’m grateful for my family because they’re always there for me.” said Wilkes. “My favorite food to eat [at Thanksgiving] is pineapple ham, my mom makes it.”

Gavin Rodawald, freshman, is grateful for his sisters. “They mean everything to me.” he said. “I eat [Thankgiving dinner] with my dad’s side of the family.”

Rodawald’s favorite part about Thanksgiving is eating; and his favorite thing to eat is “the pasta that my grandma makes.”