Across the Universe Book Review

Screen Shot 2013-01-28 at 11.26.06 PMFrom the author Beth Revis comes the book: Across the Universe, a riveting tale of love and loss, and a place someone can call home.

In the distant future, a young girl named Amy doesn’t want to make the decision to live without her beloved parents, who have been training all their life to go on an interstellar mission to a new world on the space ship Godspeed. After being frozen for over three centuries, Amy is violently ripped from her frozen slumber. She awakens to find that it is long before the scheduled landing of the ship, leaving her in a frightening world of strange people who all look and act alike and a shipload of secrets and mysteries that she is determined to solve with the help of the next ship captain, Elder. Follow their tale as Amy and Elder work together to uncover clues and find out what the current leader of the ship is hiding, and a secret that will forever change how they see life on Godspeed.

Beth Revis uses stunning vocabulary and excellent imagery to display the ever-changing emotions of both Amy and Elder. By switching the point of view between both characters, she makes it so that the reader has to leave no guess as to how the secondary character thinks. The characters are very well-developed and will constantly bring you to the edge of your chair with the roller coaster ride of emotions that each must face. Even the supporting characters are very influential in the story, which makes for a more rounded tale and a better look into the world of Godspeed. 

Don’t forget to check out the other two books in this trilogy, A Million Suns and Shades of Earth.