The teacher with horns

“My biggest hopes for the end of the year are that my students will learn what I’m teaching and the Rams will make the playoffs.”

Mr. Chris Broyles is a math teacher at Pattonville High School and is also a huge St. Louis Rams football fan.

He didn’t always want to be a high school teacher. He originally dreamed of being an engineer, but didn’t quite like the science aspects of it as much as he did the math. That’s when it hit him that he loved teaching, and began to pursue a job in education.

“It’s math or nothing,” Broyles said.

He truly loves being able to teach math, and he said if he wasn’t able to teach the subject all day, then he probably wouldn’t have been a teacher in the first place.

Broyles said if he can find a common interest with a student, then he will try to bring it up or talk about it with them. He believes it is good for teachers to have communication with students if the teacher wants them to pay attention and learn about things in school. He will always talk to students in his classes before and at the end of class, whether it is about gaming or sports, and he always tries to communicate about something.

Doing Calculus problems in his free time is not the only thing that keeps him busy away from school. He loves to watch football games, he just recently got married, and he bought a new home in April.

Pattonville High School was the first school to offer Broyles a job teaching math, but he says that ever since his first year that he has loved it and doesn’t plan on leaving anytime soon.