Drill Team Is A Sport

The Junior Varsity Drill Team dancing their hip hop routine.

From the Oxford Dictionary: “A sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team, competes against another or others for entertainment.”

Morgan Stubblefield, a freshman on JV drill team, fights that drill team is a sport.

“Drill team is physical and we do compete against other teams for entertainment,” she said, proving drill team goes along with the definition of a sport.

Drill team goes to competitions a few times a year.

“Competition is the best part,” Stubblefield said. “We all get really close.”

The team competes at different high schools where a bunch of drill teams will come together and perform in front of judges.

“We perform different routines, such as jazz, pom, hip hop, and kick,” Stubblefield said. “Then the judges tally up the scores, and we have a big awards thing where we get trophies if you win, and we did.”

Being on drill team gives you a lot of people to bond with and gets you more involved.

“We just had a holiday party actually, and we might have another get together during winter break as well,” Stubblefield said, and she always tells about Secret Santa at the party.

In case you didn’t know, drill team has “sisters.”

“We get to write a sophomore and a freshman of our choice and we’re basically there to help each other out, and we try to prepare each other for competitions and tryouts again in that spring.”

That makes things a lot easier and makes it better to be on the team.

Stubblefield used to be on drill team in middle school, and she said there are a few changes between that level and at the high school.

“High school drill team is way more serious and more challenging, you have to put a lot more work into it,” Stubblefield said. “You do have to practice outside of school and you’ll have to work at it, it’s really difficult.”

Stubblefield really enjoys drill team, and has met a lot of new people through it.

If you haven’t considered trying out in the spring, be sure to think about it or talk to some girls on the team and they’ll help encourage you to go for it! You get to go on fun trips to competitions and dance for trophies.

Stubblefield said, “Dance fits the definition of a sport.”

Courtney Penning, Jordan Tucker, and Morgan Stubblefield standing for their sister photo before their hip-hop routine.
Courtney Penning, Jordan Tucker, and Morgan Stubblefield standing for a sister photo.
Morgan Stubblefiel, Jordan Tucker, and Courtney Penning standing for their sister photo.
The Junior Varsity Drill Team dancing for competition.