Spring sports begin with tryouts

Screenshot_2017-03-06-16-51-28-1
Lots of teams are using the stadium for practices and games during the spring season. Soccer, lacrosse, and track and field will all use the facility this season.

For some athletes, tryouts are an exciting time, but for others, the experience is terrifying. The fear of being cut from a sport can be overwhelming and hinder their performance on the field, but can also be a driving force for competition.

Many freshman, such as Ally Keefer, are trying out for a sport. Keefer is playing lacrosse for the first time ever.

“Trying out for a new sport that I’ve never played for is nerve racking,” she said. “But once you get to the tryouts, the coaches are very nice and teach you how to play. If you get involved and try your hardest, it will become easier.”

There are difficult parts to the tryouts for Keefer.

“The running isn’t the best and it’s a tough workout,” she said. “But it makes you a stronger and better athlete.”

Freshman Carly Campbell wasn’t dreading spring tryouts this season.

“No, I wasn’t nervous for soccer because it’s only my freshman season,” she said. “I can’t wait for it.”

Another freshman, Allen Dotson, said he is excited about track.

“I plan on doing track events,” Dotson said. “I am looking to be a part of the 200- and 400-yard races.”

Tryouts for many sports are currently being held.

“I’m really excited for tryouts and they’re going really well,” freshman Kobe Allen said, who is trying out for baseball.

After already having a Pattonville baseball season under his belt, sophomore Jake Mathews said he’s feeling good this week

“I’m really looking forward to the season,” he said. “I’m excited to play with all my friends and compete.”

Spring seasons are underway with games to begin playing soon. Check the athletic website for current schedules.