Drill Team, cheerleading tryouts to be held at high school

Drill Team breaks from a team talk before performing at the Variety Show.

Spring sports tryouts have come and gone; however, there are some full year sports that will be picking back up soon. Drill Team and Cheerleading tryouts will be taking place in April.

The Drill Team will be holding their tryouts on April 4, 6 and 7, and Cheerleading tryouts will take place April 11- 15.

Current 8th graders through juniors are eligible to try out.

“Any of those who are interested in trying out for Drill Team or Cheerleading should come ready to perform their best with enthusiasm,” Varsity Drill Team coach Katie Funderburk said.

During the tryouts, the participants will receive a number to wear each day, this is the number they will be recognized as when the results are revealed. Numbers of the new members will be posted under the bridge of the high school on the April 8 for Drill Team, and on April 16 for cheerleading.

Current Drill Team member sophomore Brittany Bell recalls when she looked at the posted numbers for the first time.

“I found it on the window and saw it and took a picture of it and called my studio dance teacher right away,” Bell said. “It was really cool to see.”

In order to participate in the tryouts, students must have several things ready to turn in that can be picked up in a packet located in the high school office. For example, a report card is needed to tryout and a valid physical is absolutely necessary in order to participate any of the days.

“It is important that our performers have the grades, citizenship and Pattonville pride when on these teams,” Funderburk said. “That’s why in order to join one of these two amazing organizations, we need those things,” Funderburk said.

If this is not turned in, the participant will not be able to participate and must sit and watch that day of tryouts from the bleachers. When all paper work is turned in, the participant will be able to join back in. The Drill Team and Cheerleading team encourages students to come and tryout on these dates.