Varsity baseball honors its players on Senior Night

Brittany Bell

IMG_6385The varsity baseball team honored its nine seniors during the game against Clayton. Before the game started, the seniors were announced and their families joined them standing on the field for a picture.

Micah Evans has played on varsity baseball since freshman year and has also played on the varsity soccer team in the fall. Evans was honored at that senior night as well; however, for Evans, soccer did not compare.

“Soccer senior night for me wasn’t really that special,” Evans said. “It was there to honor me and the other seniors but it was basically to say we’re going to miss not having you next year.”

It wasn’t as significant as baseball senior night for Evans.

“Baseball senior night was to compliment me for being successful and making it to the next level.”

For Evans, the next level is playing baseball at the University of Central Missouri next year.

As it was only the second senior night ever held by varsity baseball, the boys were honored to be a part of it.

“It meant a lot since the baseball program hadn’t ever really done anything in the past for seniors,” Matthew Mellring said.

He added that it was cool to see that the parents and coaches were able to get together and set everything up and make it a nice ceremony to honor all of the seniors.

The night was not only special for the seniors, but also for the rest of the team. Junior Maxwell Spitzmiller has been playing with some of these guys for three or four years now.

“This senior night was surreal. I have been playing with most of the seniors my whole high school career and to realize this is my last year with them is brutal,” Spitzmiller said. “I love these guys like family and hope the season goes on as long as possible.”

The road to state begins with districts starting on May 13.

About the Writer
Brittany Bell, Editor-in-chief

Brittany Bell is the editor-in-chief of the Pirate Press and is a captain of the Varsity Drill Team.