Sellers is Lafayette’s new boys’ soccer coach

Mr. Jason Sellers coaches for Lafayette against Mr. Marcus Christian and the Pattonville varsity soccer team. The Lancers won the game on Sept. 18, 1-0.

Journee Bond, Sports writer

In addition to teaching health at the high school and being the Pattonville varsity girls’ soccer coach, Mr. Jason Sellers added another position to his resume. But on Sept. 18, when the varsity boys’ soccer team hosted Lafayette, Sellers was standing on the sideline celebrating a win with the opponent. That’s because Sellers is the new Lafayette boys’ varsity coach.

His decision for coaching the Lancers was only because all the other positions at Pattonville were filled and he still had the desire to work with a team.

Sellers worked with Lafayette last year too, but when the former soccer head coach retired, Sellers applied for the head coaching spot and got the job.

The teams have met twice so far this season. The first match-up was on Aug. 24 in the Suburban/GAC Tournament when the Pirates took a 1-0 victory.

Lafayette evened the series at a game a piece with the 1-0 shutout on Sept. 18 with the game at Pattonville.

Sellers and Pattonville’s head coach Marcus Christian said there is no internal beef going on between the two high school colleagues as they compete on the pitch.

Sellers is enjoying his time at Lafayette and has no plans currently to take on a new coaching role with the boys’ soccer team at Pattonville.

“We’ll just have to see how everything plays out,” he said. “Right now we’re just going year-by-year.”

When the spring season begins, Sellers will continue working with the Pattonville girls’ soccer team.