Football looks to avenge last year’s loss, beat Chaminade in second round of districts

DSC_0571-XL

Pattonville battles Chaminade in the second round of the Class 5 District 2 playoffs. The Pirates look to bounce back from last year’s heartbreaking loss to Chaminade in the championship game.

The Pirates varsity football team looks to avenge a 20-18 loss to Chaminade in the Class 5 District 2 championship game last year and move on to the district championship game for the second straight year. The Pirates beat Webster Groves last week 30-28 in the tournament opener.

“We’re practicing harder and trying to stay focused on our tasks,” senior running back Ahmad Avery said. “Last year we had a tough loss [against Chaminade] and we don’t want that to happen again.”

Chaminade is the No. 1 seed in this year’s Class 5 District 2 tournament and finished the season with a record of 7-1. Pattonville (4-6) entered as the No. 4 seed.

Avery has been one of the Pirates’ top contributors this season, and helped the team last week against No. 5 Webster Groves by scoring two touchdowns on the ground.

“You just go in every week with the mindset that you’re gonna have a good game,” Avery said. “If your head is in the game, it will usually show.”

The Red Devils beat Pattonville in the district championship game in the final minute last year. The heartbreaking loss has given the Pirates a sense of motivation bigger than they’ve had all year.

“We know we can compete with them,” Avery said. “We just got to go all in and play the hardest we can.”

The Pirates did suffer a setback last week when Suburban XII South Division Offensive Lineman of the Year and University of Oklahoma commit Marquis Hayes was injured in the first half.

“We are gonna find people that will step up and take his place,” Avery said.

The game is Friday, Oct. 28, at 7 p.m. at Chaminade. Tickets are $7.